Child Care: Resources

Child Care Aware
Child Care Aware is a non-profit initiative committed to helping parents find the best information on locating quality child care and child care resources in their community. We do this by raising visibility for local child care resource and referral agencies nationwide, and by connecting parents with the local agencies best equipped to serve their needs

Finding Help to Pay for Child Care
Child care assistance is available to eligible families through State agencies that administer Federal grants. Each state determines eligibility requirements for families within their state. A list of state agencies can be found on the National Child Care Information Center web site

Heath & Safety Regulations for Child Care

The National Resource Center for Health and Safety promotes health and safety in out-of-home child care settings throughout the nation. Visit their web site at to learn more about your State’s health and safety requirements for child care.

Tax Benefits and Qualifying for Tax Credits
Information on tax credits from the federal government and free tax help is provided below:

Eligibility for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): Employed low-income persons1—those earning less than $29,201/yr with one child or $33,178/yr with more than one child—are eligible for a credit of up to $2,506/yr. and $4,140/yr. respectively. You can get this credit in a lump sum at the end of year by filing form 1040 or 1040A along with “Schedule EIC.” You can apply for this credit for up to 3 years back. Another way is to receive this credit throughout the year by increasing your take-home pay—you file form W-5 (EITC Advance Payment Certificate). Ask your employer or call the IRS 800 number for the W-5. Note: You can get an EITC payment even if you owe NO taxes.
Child Tax Credit: You can get a reduction of taxes owed (or a refund if you owe nothing) of up to $600 (depending upon your income) per each dependent child under 17 if you earn more than $10,350 by filing Form 8812 – “Additional Child Tax Credit.”
Child and Dependent Care Credit (CDCC) allows credit for 20%-30% (depending on income) of a family’s child care expenses up to a certain limit. You would file the Form called “Child and Dependent Care Expenses.”

Call IRS’s toll free number: 800-829-3676 for information on these three Tax Credit programs and the forms needed to apply for them. You can also visit IRS’s website for information: Free help in preparing tax returns is available through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Site at 1-800-829-1040.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.